• Apr 24, 2017 News! Vol.6, No.4 has been indexed by EI (Inspec).   [Click]
  • Apr 24, 2017 News! Vol.6, No.3 has been indexed by EI (Inspec).   [Click]
  • Jun 26, 2017 News!Vol 7, No 4 has been published with online version 12 original aritcles from 6 countries are published in this issue   [Click]
General Information
    • ISSN: 2010-3697
    • Frequency: Bimonthly
    • DOI: 10.7763/IJMO
    • Editor-in-Chief: Prof. Adrian Olaru
    • Executive Editor: Ms.Yoyo Y. Zhou
    • Abstracting/ Indexing: Engineering & Technology Digital Library, ProQuest, Crossref, Electronic Journals Library, Google Scholar, EI (INSPEC, IET).
    • E-mail ijmo@iacsitp.com
Editor-in-chief
Prof. Adrian Olaru
University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania
I'm happy to take on the position of editor in chief of IJMO. It's a journal that shows promise of becoming a recognized journal in the area of modelling and optimization. I'll work together with the editors to help it progress.
IJMO 2011 Vol.1(1): 66-69 ISSN: 2010-3697
DOI: 10.7763/IJMO.2011.V1.12

Analysis of Maximum Possible Utilization of Solar Radiation on a Solar Photovoltaic Cell with a Proposed Model

Md. Kafiul Islam, Tanvir Ahammad, Enamul Haq Pathan, A. N. M. Mushfiqul Haque and Md. Rezwanul Haque Khandokar

Abstract—the paper proposes a possible solution to absorb and utilize all the solar radiation spectrum including ultraviolet and infrared along with the visible radiation. A typical solar PV cell usually absorb only the visible solar radiation to covert to electricity which is 46% of the total solar radiation but it can’t use the other non-visible spectrum like infrared (longer wavelength) and ultraviolet (shorter wavelength) which consists of the other 54% of solar energy. This non-visible solar radiation is either absorbed by the earth surface and atmosphere or reflected back to the space and it is wasted as far as the solar cell absorption is concerned. There are lots of researches going on in the semiconductor level to design a solar cell which can absorb the solar radiation in non-visible region using band-gap engineering but if we could somehow convert the non-visible solar radiation into visible range before it comes to the solar cell (semiconductor level) then the overall efficiency of a solar PV system would surely be increased to a satisfactory amount. After converting the non-visible spectrum into visible spectrum, we will then incident this radiation on a typical solar PV cell. In this paper the possible arrangement for such conversion is proposed which is still at a preliminary stage concept and yet to be implemented.

Index Terms—solar radiation, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, virtual earth surface, solar PV cell.

Md. Kafiul Islam, A N M Mushfiqul Haque and Md. Rezwanul Haque Khandokar are with the School of Engineering & Computer Science, Independent University, Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh (1corresponding author’s phone: +88-02-8401645-53; fax: +88-02-8401991; e-mail: 1kafiiut@gmail.com, abu.niyam@gmail.com and udyc1087@yahoo.com).
Enamul Haq Pathan is now with the Nokia Siemens Networks Bangladesh Ltd., Dhaka, Bangladesh (e-mail: contact.enamul@gmail.com).
Tanvir Ahammad is with the Dept. of Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Stamford University Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh (e-mail: tanvir52@yahoo.com).

[PDF]

Cite: Md. Kafiul Islam, Tanvir Ahammad, Enamul Haq Pathan, A N M Mushfiqul Haque and Md. Rezwanul Haque Khandokar, Member, IACSIT, "Analysis of Maximum Possible Utilization of Solar Radiation on a Solar Photovoltaic Cell with a Proposed Model," International Journal of Modeling and Optimization vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 66-69, 2011.

Copyright © 2008-2015.International Journal of Modeling and Optimization. All rights reserved.
E-mail: ijmo@iacsitp.com